As the year draws to a close we take a look back at the year that was and have nominated four players from each position for your team of the year.
We have included players based on their club and test form, particularly their form at the Rugby World Cup in Japan.
We move onto the final forward in the team:
Kazuki Himeno - Japan
- Missed Super Rugby as Jamie Joseph prepared Japan for the World Cup
- Helped Japan reach the World Cup Quarter-Finals
- Was one of the stars of the tournament at the World Cup
Kieran Read - New Zealand
- Featured in the Crusaders' successful Super Rugby season as they completed their three-peat
- Was a standout performer during the Rugby Championship
- Made 35 tackles in the Rugby Championship, just one less than Pieter-Steph du Toit
- Returned to some of his best form during the World Cup.
- Finished off his test career as the All Blacks finished third at the World Cup
Duane Vermeulen - South Africa
- Helped the Bulls to the Super Rugby playoffs.
- Put in match-winning performances during the Rugby Championship
- Stepped up at the World Cup as one of the Springboks' best throughout the competition, particularly in the playoffs.
- Man of the match in the World Cup Final
Billy Vunipola - England
- Won the Champions Cup and Premiership with Saracens
- Was excellent in the Six Nations
- Was a crucial cog in the England pack that reached the Final of the World Cup