Champions Cup Preview: La Rochelle Vs Gloucester Rugby
Champions Cup holders Stade Rochelais, unbeaten in the competition since their 2021 final loss to Stade Toulousain, look to extend that sequence to 14 matches when they host Gloucester Rugby in the Round of 16 on Saturday evening.
The TOP 14 club headed Pool B by winning all four matches and earning two try bonus points. They were also the leading points-scorers in their pool with 120, while also having one of the best defences, conceding just 57 points.
Gloucester had the misfortune of having four-time winners Leinster Rugby in their pool, but although they were comfortably beaten by the Irish province in both matches, two hard-fought victories against Union Bordeaux-Bègles earned them a place in the Round of 16.
The match at Stade Marcel Deflandre in La Rochelle kicks off at 5.30pm UK time and can be watched on SuperSport, BT Sport, beIN SPORTS, France TV and FloRugby.
Stade Rochelais Stats
- Fly-half Antoine Hastoy has scored more points in the Heineken Championship Cup so far than any other player (50). He has attempted more kicks at goal than any other player (24) and missed just five.
- Greg Aldritt has made more metres in contact than any other player (85). He also topped the competition for post-contact metres last season.
- Stade Rochelais have the highest rate of tackle success in the tournament (91.3%).
- Lewis Ludlow has stolen more opposition lineouts than any other player (four). Ludlow made two of those steals in Round 4.
- Steve Varney made a Round 4 high of 23 kicks in play, amounting to 650 metres.
- Gloucester have the best scrum success in the Heineken Champions Cup, winning 96% of their put-ins, but have the lowest rate of conversion success in the competition (50%).