Scott Barrett banned for three weeks after red card

Scott Barrett banned for three weeks after red card

All Blacks lock Scott Barrett has been slapped with a three-week ban following his red card against the Wallabies on Saturday.


The 25-year-old, who pleaded guilty, was given a red card after a no arms tackle on Wallabies skipper Michael Hooper in final minute of the first half in Perth.

Barrett will now miss this weekend's test against Australia with the ban lasting until Sunday September 1. He will be free to play in the All Blacks' final warm-up test against Tonga on September 7 and for the start of the Rugby World Cup.

The verdict means Barrett’s World Cup hopes are still alive, with the All Blacks’ first game of the tournament kicking off on September 20 against South Africa in Tokyo.

The SANZAAR judicial committee said the offence warranted a six-week ban but that had been cut in half.

“Taking into account mitigating factors including the player's exemplary judicial record, his expressed remorse and the fact the player has pleaded guilty at the first available opportunity, the committee reduced the suspension to three weeks,” the governing body said in a statement. 



More News

Latest News