Match Preview: Sale gunning for Toulouse revenge
Sale Sharks are aiming to bounce back from defeat at Stade Toulousain when they welcome the TOP 14 side to the AJ Bell Stadium in Round 3 of the Heineken Champions Cup on Saturday.
Sale were outclassed at Stade Ernest Wallon in Round 2 as Toulouse marched to a 45-19 win and there will undoubtedly be an added edge to the return fixture following a bad-tempered end to the game which saw the hosts’ Thomas Ramos sent off.
That defeat was a setback for Sale, who had kicked off their campaign in style with a 39-0 whitewash of Ulster Rugby, though they remain among the Pool B frontrunners, sitting fourth on five points.
Five-time champions Toulouse are second, having won both their opening games – their other success being a hard-fought 18-13 victory at Munster Rugby.
Since their Round 2 encounter, Sale have won twice in three Gallagher Premiership games, while Toulouse have had the same form in the TOP 14.
The game kicks off at 13:00 (UK & Irish time) and is available to watch on BT Sport, beIN SPORTS, SuperSport and FloRugby.
We're BACK 😍
Which #HeinekenChampionsCup R3️⃣ thriller will you be watching? pic.twitter.com/JIVp8KDboC
— Heineken Champions Cup (@ChampionsCup) January 10, 2023
- Jonny Hill missed the most tackles in Round 2 (7).
- Gus Warr is the only player in the tournament who has kicked two 50/22s.
- Tom Curry has won two ruck turnovers – as many as any other player – and has been a nuisance at the breakdown too, notching nine successes, the second highest in the tournament.
- Robert du Preez has made more break assists than any other player (5).
- Thomas Ramos conceded four turnovers in Round 2 – as many as any other player. His total of seven is the joint highest.
- Antoine Dupont has completed more kicks in play than anyone else (30), with 20 being box kicks.
- Toulouse have conceded the joint-fewest turnovers (15).
- They have kicked more than any other team, achieving 2,048 metres with 67 kicks.