Following Munster's announcement of a pit fire accident over the weekend which left players injured, among them Springbok duo Damian de Allende and RG Snyman, the duo has spoken on how the accident came about.
According to a SuperSport’s Brenden Nel, De Allende has revealed that a Munster teammate had thrown petrol over their pit fire, which led to the petrol can exploding.
‘We were just sitting around the fire and one of the boys threw a bit of petrol over the fire and then it caught his hand and he just tried to put it down on the floor and then the whole thing caught alight and exploded,’ De Allende told SuperSport.
"We should be okay in a few weeks hopefully."
Mike Haley and CJ Stander are the other duo injured in the incident. In a statement, Munster confirmed: "It is expected that Haley and Stander, who sustained burns to their hands, may return to training this week with availability for Friday night’s game reviewed as the week progresses.
"De Allende and Snyman, who sustained more substantial burns to legs, hands and face, will not take part in their respective training and rehabilitation programmes and will meet a specialist again later in the week."
Snyman and De Allende are due to meet up with the Springbok squad after their Rainbow Cup commitments for Munster.